WordPress has the capability to be automated to make the life for a developer easier, but sometimes it can make the job harder, too. WordPress can automatically update your website including your themes and plugins, which can help save time but it might also be harmful to the ebb and flow of your site in the form of breaking a website.
WordPress is an open source, content management system that allows just about anyone to create a website from scratch or from a downloaded or purchased template. As one of the most popular open source content management system, WordPress represents more of a community of individuals who share content and design templates with one another.
With all of the open source beauty WordPress holds, it is important to know and understand the pros and cons of WordPress being automated and we have discussed the pros and cons in this article below!
WordPress Automatic updates: pros and cons
WordPress automatic updates seem to happen…a lot. As a default option, WordPress does actually perform updates itself, meaning any security updates or minor upgrades will, for the most part, upgrade automatically. Manual updates are needed when major changes have occurred.
Here are some quick pros and cons to WordPress Automatic updates.
- Time-saving – Automatic updates happen automatically without much legwork from the user, so you are absolutely saving time by updating WordPress automatically.
- Reduction for hacking abilities – After most WordPress security updates hackers will send out bots to your site if it is vulnerable. Automatic updates deter the bots from hacking because your sites have updated immediately.
- Peace of mind – Automatic updates will give web designers and developers peace of mind whether you are working on other projects or on vacation, you will know your sites are safe and secure.
- Fail-safe is closed – If an update fails, you aren’t able to go back and course correct because there isn’t a backup available to bring back to life.
- False security – Most plugins don’t have a au auto update feature, so if your updates aren’t automatically turned on, you are essentially inviting hackers into your site.
- Possibility of breaking – There is a small chance that automatic updates will break your site for major releases and releases with a lot of variables.
How to update WordPress automatically
Do manage WordPress updates easier you may need to update a plugin. The best and most suggested plugin for this is found and activated within the Easy Updates Manager where you can find an easy to use, easy to organize manually to install any WordPress plugin you want.
Once you activate your plugin find your way by clicking Dashboard and then Updates Options page to properly set up the requested plugin. In the Updates Options, you will select the option “Dashboard Tab” where it is super easy and super clear where you will turn on and off different updates.
Scroll down to the Generals Tab and scroll down to the automatic updates and turn on the automatic updates for CORE, plugins, and themes.
How to stop WordPress from automatically updating
If you are looking to stop WordPress from automatically updating, use the following steps to quickly and easily disable.
Go to Settings » Disable Updates Manager in order to configure the settings to your liking. Under the tab Disable Updates Globally, check Disable All Theme Updates.
You can also use the code below and integrate it in this line of code in your wp-config.php file: define( ‘WP_AUTO_UPDATE_CORE’, false ); This will disable all automatic WordPress updates.
The best of both worlds
if you want best of both worlds with receiving notification for minor updates but still want to disable major theme updates from automatically updating add these filters right inside your theme’s function.php file or in a site-specific plugin mode.
How To Disable automatic WordPress plugin updates:
add_filter( ‘auto_update_plugin’, ‘__return_false’ );
Disable automatic WordPress theme updates:
add_filter( ‘auto_update_theme’, ‘__return_false’ );
We hope this gives you accurate insight into whether or not you should enable or disable automatic updates. If you found this article useful and want to see more articles like this, make sure to check out Sunny HQ website. If you feel lost in the WordPress world, let us help you with WordPress management and WordPress maintenance services.